Building a House for God's Glory Back to all sermons
Date: April 26, 2019
Speaker: Pastor Jeramie Rinne
Series: Exodus: Saved and Set Apart
Scripture: Exodus 36:8–40:38
The following study guide is to be used to discuss the Friday, April 26, 2019 sermon.
Study Guide - Exodus 36:8-40:38
Introduction - We come at last to the end of Exodus. The LORD has saved Israel from Egypt through a mighty hand. He’s led them to Mt. Sinai and given them his law and instructions for his temple. Despite their rebellion and worship of the golden calf, the LORD forgave them through Moses’ intercession. Now at last, the Israelites are ready to build the tabernacle of God so that he might at last dwell among his redeemed people. And so today we who have been redeemed by Jesus work to build God’s new temple, the church.
1. Skim chapters 36-38. Perhaps read a few of the accounts of the building of certain objects. Why does Exodus include descriptions of each element being built?
2. God has given us his Word for building his new temple, the church. How should the Bible affect and shape our life together as a local church? In what ways do people often ignore God’s instructions for the church?
3. Moses assembled the tabernacle after the components were completed (40:1-33). How do we go about “building” the temple of God today? What New Testament texts would you point to in order to support your answer?
4. After Moses finished the tabernacle, the cloud filled it (Exodus 40:34-38). What is the significance of this event? Is there a similar moment in the New Testament?
5. How are you involved in building the temple today?